Given the number of public parks, recreational facilities, universities, government complexes and tourist attractions on Long Island, thousands of individuals are injured on public property or in accidents involving public employees each year. While it is possible to hold a town, village, county or state agency liable, pursuing a municipality liability lawsuit is complicated. This is why having the right personal injury attorney in your corner critically important.

The Law Office of Robert Purzak is a premier personal injury practice serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. We have an impeccable reputation for providing injury victims with trusted advice and objective insights — and fighting tirelessly for their rights. Well-versed in municipal liability and negligence law, we know how to hold municipal governments and municipal agencies accountable for causing personal injuries. Above all, we will make sure you are justly compensated for the harm you have endured.


Municipality Liability Claims on Long Island

Nassau County, Suffolk County, towns, villages and New York State all have a hand in managing public agencies, employees and facilities on Long Island. This includes police departments, sanitation departments, emergency medical technicians, prisons, government buildings, roads, highways, bridges, sidewalks, parks, beaches, bike/hiking trails, museums, nature preserves, and recreational facilities. Even though government entities on Long Island have a duty to provide residents, visitors and employees with a safe environment, accidents and injuries are often the result of negligence.

Over our many years of practice, the Law Office of Robert Purzak has successfully pursued municipal liability claims arising from:

  • Automobile accidents with public employees (sanitation, police)
  • Bus accidents — Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)/Suffolk County Transit (SCT)
  • Hazardous conditions
  • Malpractice against public hospitals/clinics
  • Police misconduct/brutality
  • Slip, trip and fall accidents
  • Student injuries (at school/after school programs)
  • Other acts of negligence

If you or a loved one has been harmed because of the negligence of a government agency or public employee, you are entitled to compensation. Our team will help you navigate the legal system and handle all the details of your claim, including all required court filings and interactions with the opposing side. Our processes are designed to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case and enable you to focus on recovering.

What is a Notice of Claim?

Before you can file a civil lawsuit against a local, county or state agency or public employee for personal injury, pain and suffering, or property damage, it is necessary to file a Notice of Claim with the appropriate authority within 90 days of the date of the accident. The notice must be in writing, signed before a notary public, and include:

  • The name and address of the claimant
  • Contact information for the claimant’s attorney
  • The nature of the claim
  • The time, place and incident underlying the claim
  • Details of the damages or injuries sustained

A Notice of Claim must also be served by personal delivery, or by registered or certified mail to the person legally authorized to receive such notices or that public entity’s attorney. If the notice does not meet these requirements, the case will likely be dismissed and any claims barred. After the notice has been served, the defendant has 30 days to investigate the claim.

Generally, the municipal agency conducts an independent examination of the incident and the injuries you have suffered. The examination includes an oral deposition at which government attorneys will question you under oath and your answers recorded and transcribed by a stenographer. It is crucial to work with an attorney to prepare for a deposition and also to have your attorney representing you during the inquiry.

In addition, you will likely be required to undergo a medical evaluation by a physician of the opposing side’s choosing. Having an attorney present during the examination is essential for protecting your rights.

Contact Our Long Island Municipality Liability Attorney

The Law Office of Robert Purzak has decades of experience handling municipal liability lawsuits on Long Island. Knowing that dealing with bureaucratic obstacles and red tape is daunting, we will handle all the details of your case and take the stress out of the process. Because the government has endless financial resources, injury victims are often at an unfair disadvantage in municipal liability claims. We will fully deploy our skills and resources to level the playing field. When necessary, we will collaborate with credentialed medical experts and financial professionals to support your claim.

Regardless of the value of your claim, we will always put your best interests first. By fully explaining your rights and exploring all of your options, we will make sure you obtain just compensation. When you become our client, you can rest assured that we will always stand by you. Please call our office today or complete the contact form on our website to set up a consultation. We help the injured throughout Long Island, including the towns of Brentwood, Coram, Deer Park, Hempstead, Islip, Roosevelt, and Wyandanch.