Thousands of Long Islanders are injured in accidents each year due to the negligent, reckless, or willful conduct of other parties. That’s the bad news. The good news is that injury victims may be able to obtain just compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that was not your fault, it is crucial to have first-rate legal representation.
Backed by more than 35 years of experience, the Law Offices of Robert Purzak has recovered millions of dollars in settlement awards and jury verdicts for our clients. When you work with our dedicated personal injury staff, you can rest assured we will always stand by you — and fight to win.
CALL US AT 516-222-1188 FOR A FREE CONSULTATION!
Personal Injury Practice Areas
The Law Offices of Robert Purzak regularly handles an array of personal injury claims, including:
- Automobile accidents — Vehicle owners on Long Island fall under New York’s no-fault insurance law. This means that if you are injured in a car accident, you must seek compensation for certain economic losses from your own insurance company, regardless of which driver is at fault. If you sustain a “serious injury” in a car accident, however, you may be able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver to recover damages for pain and suffering and similar losses.
- Bus accidents — School buses, public buses, and charter buses are frequently involved in accidents that result in serious injuries to passengers and other motorists. When such accidents are caused by driver negligence, a personal injury claim can be filed against the responsible parties — bus drivers, carriers, manufacturers or municipal agencies.
- Construction accidents — As residential and commercial property development in Nassau and Suffolk continues unabated, construction accidents are becoming increasingly common. Although construction workers are covered under New York’s Workers’ Compensation program, a personal injury claim can be filed if a construction accident results from safety violations or third-party negligence.
- Dog bite injuries — While most dogs are friendly pets and faithful companions to many Long Islanders, thousands of people are injured in dog bite incidents each year — half of them children. Under New York law, you may be able to recover damages, provided that you can show the dog had a propensity to be dangerous and the pet owner knew or should have known of the danger.
- Motorcycle accidents — The lure of Long Island’s highways and parkways makes motorcycling an exhilarating experience, however, riders are at a high risk of being seriously injured in collisions with distracted, reckless or drunk drivers. In spite of the public bias against motorcycle riders, we believe that injured bikers are entitled to just compensation for injuries caused by negligent drivers.
- Pedestrian accidents — Navigating the roads, streets and turnpikes in Nassau and Suffolk is a high-risk proposition for pedestrians, and Long Island is notorious for having some of the most dangerous roads in the nation. While pedestrians must follow traffic laws and exercise reasonable care for their own safety, negligent drivers can be held liable for injuries arising from pedestrian accidents.
- Slip, Trip and Fall Accidents — Private, commercial and public property owners on Long Island have a duty to properly maintain their property and provide visitors with a safe environment. Nonetheless, slippery surfaces, broken steps, raised sidewalks, poor lighting and numerous other hazards frequently cause or contribute to accidents and injuries. Our attorney routinely pursues premises liability lawsuits against negligent property owners for slips, trips and falls that result in injuries.
- Truck Accidents — Drivers on the Long Island Expressway and other roads and highways safely share the road with trucks and tractor-trailers. Given the size and weight of a typical commercial truck, a collision can lead to catastrophic injuries and fatalities to occupants of smaller vehicles. We know how to hold negligent trucking companies and truck drivers accountable for accidents that result in injuries and fatalities.
- Uber/Lyft Accidents — As ridesharing radically reshapes public transportation, rideshare accidents are becoming more common. While New York’s No-Fault insurance law applies to rideshare accidents, determining liability depends on a number of factors, which is why having proper legal representation is crucial.
- Wrongful Death — Losing a loved one is never easy, and even more of a burden if the death was caused by the misconduct of another party. Certainly, no amount of money can ever replace a life, however, surviving family members can seek justice by filing a wrongful death lawsuit.
Regardless of the type of accident that caused your injuries, our office is highly regarded for being dedicated advocates and helping our clients obtain the compensation they deserve.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?
Under New York law, there is a time limit ( statute of limitations) for filing a personal injury claim. Generally, an injury claim must be filed within three years from the date of the accident or injury, while the time limit for a wrongful death claim is two years. The sooner you contact the Law Offices of Robert Purzak, the better your chances will be of achieving a successful outcome.
How much is my personal injury claim worth?
While each claim is unique, the compensation you ultimately receive depends on factors such as the nature of the accident and the extent of your injuries. That being said, you may be able to recover economic and noneconomic damages:
- Economic damages — Cover lost wages, past and future medical expenses, property damage, and similar financial losses.
- Noneconomic damages — Compensate you for losses that cannot be quantified, such as pain and suffering, physical disability, disfigurement, loss of limb, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Contact Our Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer
The Law Offices of Robert Purzak has been providing aggressive legal representation to injury victims on Long Island for over 35 years. We have a proven history of producing results by helping our clients obtain significant compensation. Guided by the principle that no one should be forced to suffer because of another’s negligence, we will offer you knowledge, compassion and the personal attention you deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that was not your fault, please contact our office as soon as possible. The consultation is free and you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we settle or win your case. We help the injured throughout Long Island, including the towns of Brentwood, Coram, Deer Park, Hempstead, Islip, Roosevelt, and Wyandanch.